Tuesday, August 13, 2013

When to Say "No"

One of the most difficult decisions in business that I've witnessed, especially for a newer businesses, is learning when to say that dreaded two-letter word "no."  From the sales perspective, saying "no" leads to an immediate loss in sales, so "no" doesn't easily roll off of the tongue.  The immediate "yes" from the sales perspective doesn't analyze the long term effect.
Recently, I had to say "no" to several opportunities, one of them being posting to #MarketingRxD.  My plate became quite full with planning a career change, cross-country move, major Oakley event, executing several marketing activations, interviewing and writing a CrossFitGames.com article (found here), and competing in my first CrossFit Competition, to name just a few.  There came a point where something or multiple things had to give.  Did I miss an opportunity for gaining potential clients or notoriety?  Yes.  Did my business plan include posting lackadaisical blogs that didn't have meaningful content because I didn't have time to write a well-though out article?  No.

When presented with an opportunity outside of your set business plan, here are my tips on making the best decision for you:

RXD:
1) Ask yourself "Does this align with my goals?"  When questioning this, many times I've been given the response "but it's good for the brand."  I challenge you to dig deeper, why is it good for the direction you are going in?  What is the expected outcome, now and later?
2) If "yes" is the ultimate decision after analysis then modify your operating plan to add it in.  Include the specific goals for this particular event or opportunity, the why, the how, the measure, etc.
3) If you do come to the conclusion to say "no" then say it the right way (another example below).  My personal example was after interviewing for an east coast position, it was brought to my attention that the start date was several weeks prior to a huge event I was planning in my current position.  Instead of saying "that doesn't work for me," I told the hiring manager something along the lines of: "I think I would be a great fit for the company if selected.  However, in my current role, one of my main responsibilities is planning an event that will be held in a few weeks.  I'd like to see my hard work and effort through and not bail on a major responsibility mid-project."  The end result was the new employer offered to be flexible because they valued my honesty and willingness to follow through.


DNF:
1) An immediate "yes" can put strain on resources and finances.  Will it be worth the last minute scrounge to find capital to invest?  Will your employees be preoccupied with this new project instead of focusing on the meat of your company?
2) You just couldn't say "no" and now your execution is rushed.  This is one of the most common and lethal.  Example: Your business says yes to having a booth at an event because it was offered last minute at a discount rate but half of your product won't ship in time, your marketing graphics are printed on paper instead of having an aesthetic booth that represents your brand, and your best customer service team isn't available.  This can create a bad brand experience and loss of customers that will be hard to get back.
3) Saying "no" the wrong way. I think #3 in RxD says it all.  Here is another example of how to say it right:

A friend of mine opened CrossFit Federal Hill less than a year ago.  In that short time, they've outgrown their space and resources.  While no gym owner wants to turn potential membership sales away, CrossFit Federal Hill decided it was more important to keep their loyal, current members happy until they could expand and accept more members to give that enjoyable experience to all.  Instead of posting "Currently we are not accepting new members" this explanation found on their webpage:
"Starting July 17th we will no longer be accepting new members In an effort to avoid over crowded classes, provide individual attention and give our current members plenty of love we will be starting a waiting list.  We are also working to get multiple coaches in a few evening classes to provide more support, guidance and attention during workouts.
If you want to join please email community@crossfitfederalhill.com to be placed on the waiting list.  We will get back to you right away with a response and place you on the list.  Since we are in the city we have people move and switch jobs often so a spot could open up quick!
Our other big announcement is that we have plans to expand in September.  We will be doubling our size and have over 9,000 square feet of CrossFit space!  Once we expand we will open up membership again.  We will have more space, equipment and staff by this time."
 
 
Makes you want to join in September right?  Get all of your marketing questions answered here.

No comments: